Monday, May 11, 2009

Losing My Mind

One thing that seems to be a big dark secret among those who are grieving is the fact that no matter what your age, you seem to suddenly develop Alzheimer's and ADHD. This was told to me by a grief counselor after a few weeks of not being able to finish a sentence or concentrate on one thing for more than two minutes. And it does not end in a few weeks. You seem to be getting better and suddenly it starts all over again.

Today was a perfect example. I did not see my sister-in-law yesterday and wanted to make sure she got my Mother's Day card. Since postage rates have gone up, I try to either drop things off or e-mail them. The house is on my way to work, but you cannot turn down certain streets between 7-9 AM since they don't want a lot of traffic cutting through the side streets to get to the main streets. In order to get to my brother's house between those hours, I have to turn about 5 blocks before their street. What did I do today? Sat at that street waiting for the light to turn green thinking that I have to turn down that street. Of course, I did not turn and had to go out of my way to get the card to her. It have been easier to go after work, but I would probably forget again and I would end up with a card that I would have to remember to give her next year and forget about that.

That was just the start of my morning. When I turned down the main street to get back to the house, there was a street cleaning truck in front of me. He decides to lower his brushes and start cleaning just before we got to the corner. He then proceeds to turn down the same side street I was going to go down. He did move into the middle of the street and I was able to get around him. Got the card dropped off and, to make a long story a little shorter, ended up going around the block to start to work. Oh, by the way, girlie, picking at your nails is not attractive and blocking an intersection is against the law.

Of course, with my wonderful memory, I forgot to get gas on Sunday, so on I truck to the gas station. Got in and out, but I had to pick up a cake for a co-workers birthday. I was picking it up at Dominick's Food Store. I could see the sign. I was almost there when the red lights started flashing and the gates came down. I just thank God it was not a freight train, so it went through fast. Got in and out with the cake. I got to the intersection in which I can make a right and be slowed up by a few stop signs or go straight and may be stopped by another train. Since the light was red, I thought it would be just as fast to make the right as to wait a chance getting stopped by another train. Wrong. The street I would have normally turned down was closed, so I had to go down another block and then up and around to get on to the street I needed to be on to get to work. I decided to park the car in my usual spot and make a couple of trips through the parking lot instead of stopping by the door and then trying to park. Who knows what I would find to block my way in the parking lot.

And it's only 12:05 PM. I sure hope my day gets better.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. What a trip. I must admit, as much as I miss Chicago, I do not miss the trains in Des Plaines. I hope your day got better!

    ReplyDelete