Sunday, September 12, 2010

Update on Me

This week I went to my first wake since my mother and aunt died. My friend from high school lost her mother to rectal cancer on Wednesday. My friend lives in Florida and came in with her family for the wake and funeral. I spent a few hours with her on Friday at the wake and then went to the mass on Saturday. This morning we had breakfast so we had some time to talk without interruptions. She was the friend I would call in the evening after we spent most of the day at school, talk into the night, and then take up the conversation the next day. I hadn't talked to her since she came to Chicago in 2008. That was a year before my mother died. Her mother had gone through the same thing that my mother went through with hospice, but she was at home. My mother was in the hospital. We did have a lot to catch up on and I am sure that we could have spent a week and not have told each other everything that was going on in our lives.


I also had dinner with my cousin and a friend on Saturday. We have been getting together as often as possible, but we keep going to the same restaurant. This is one of those restaurants that we made fun of when we were younger. The "old" people go in the afternoon and leave with doggy bags. We went in the afternoon and left with doggy bags. We finally had to admit that we were getting nearer to "that age". Of course we are not old yet!

My friend and her son left this evening for Florida. I have been tracking her flight. She has 10 minutes left and my laundry is done, so I guess that is my cue to go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your friend's loss. This aging thing is not for the faint of heart.

    And I'm curious to know which restaurant, Mary. Long live styrofoam carryout boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. At least we are not getting any older?

    Andrews on Dempster in Park Ridge. Food is great, but a lot of old people there. The chicken is always better the next day.

    ReplyDelete