Friday, November 27, 2009

Illness and Thanksgiving

OK, I really did intend to post before now, but I have been sick. Oh, not just your ordinary cold or flu. Noooo, I had to come down with walking pneumonia. It came on suddenly as I was shopping in Dominick's on a beautiful Sunday morning, November 8. I went from planning to do a little cleaning, but mostly chill out and try to clean during the week (always my plan, but somehow it seems to end up that I do it all on the weekends). I was standing next to a man who reeked of cigarette smoke. OK, my sinuses. Then driving home with car windows open and pollen blowing all around making my sinus attack worse (oh, I forgot to mention that I had not taken my medicines for two days). By Sunday night I knew it wasn't going away anytime soon. Monday morning I call in (or rather croak in) to work. I hope that my director either got the message or would just figure that when I did not show up, it was me on the phone. I am sure she could not understand the full message. Tuesday was just as bad, but I decided to take my temperature, 100.9. That of course always makes you feel worse. Wednesday was the call to the doctor. I go in expecting to be told that I have bronchitis (which I have had before), but instead get the good old pneumonia diagnosis. I was home all that week, went to work on Tuesday and Wednesday for a half a day, took off Thursday, and went back to work on Friday.

Friday was more fun. As I was driving to work my car suddenly had no pick-up. I was doing 30 in a 35 mile hour zone and losing ground fast. I wasn't too far from my regular gas station which some friends work at, so I tried to get into the right hand lane, but realized that I was going to stall sitting in the middle of both lanes. I did manage to get into the median of the solid yellow lines. Called AAA and waited for 45 minutes for them. In the meantime, I am still trying to cough up another lung (I had already coughed up the right and left last week). The only good thing was that some dick head in a van drove right up behind me trying to get ahead of the rest of the traffic. He had to sit behind me while the cars that were behind him went right passed. He missed the green light, too. At least that brightened my day. OK, it is bad to be happy about someone else's misery, but it entertained me for a couple of minutes. This time I did not burn a wire in my car or anything minor, my motor needed to be replaced. I now have a "new" used motor in my car. No money, but a "new" motor. Merry Christmas, car!

This brings us up to Thanksgiving. Up until 10:30 that morning, I thought I would be spending it home alone. My cousin called to let me know she has had the wrong phone number for me for years. She asked if I was coming. Of course, I never heard about it even though my brother knew for a few weeks, but couldn't be bothered to let me know. Anyway, I did have some place to go for Thanksgiving.

Every family party ends up with a game of Left, Right, Center. This is a dice game in which you have three dollar bills in front of you (you can play with more money or less, but the less you play with, the less you win). You roll three dice at the beginning and if you have a dot on each of the dice you get to keep you $3. If you roll a L or R you pass a dollar to the person to either the right or left of you. A C, the dollar goes into the pot (the center of the table). You can roll all dots, L, R, or C, or a combination. The person with the last dollar rolls the dice and if they roll a dot, they get the money in the pot. If they roll a C, the game starts over with the pot growing until someone wins. I have never won.

I then had a new experience of playing WII. I know everyone in the world has now played at least one game on WII, but not me. I usually do not do good with any of these games. On PlayStation, I always managed to run my car into the wall or caused the skateboarding guy, Tony, to have permanent brain damage. I have tried to avoid these games since then. It was decided after the guys played golf, that the women would play bowling. I enjoy bowling even though my average would be between 60 and 70. I ended up coming in second. I don't remember my exact score, but I know it was over 120. I think I like this WII bowling.

Today is back to reality. I really need to clean this house and my brother told me that he would come over and put the storm window in the front door. I don't think either is going to be done since it is after 3:00 PM. That is what I want for Christmas, the storm window in the front door, my dishwasher set up, and an asparagus cooker (my cousin has one and it is really easy to use).

That is about it for now. If you do not hear from me again, it means that I never got the storm window and I froze to death.

Oh, Lisa asked me about the cemeteries that I had been visiting. My mother and her family are at Queen of Heaven and my father's family is at Mount Carmel. They are across the street from each other which makes it very convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment